Writing a Novel and ....

Writing a Novel and ....
LOVING IT!

Descriptive Phrases -A

The importance of words


Not had any Irresistible phrases for a while, a fact I shall remedy later. First check out this excellent piece of writing advice from Jeffrey Hauser.

Tips on Writing your First Novel

I wrote my first novel almost 15 years ago. I had never written anything except as a school assignment. So, what qualified me to write? Well, I had read a lot; the classics, sci-fi, adventure novels, and a variety of everything else. But I also thought I had a vivid imagination that could translate well into the written word. The problem was, I had no idea where to begin. I had a few plots knocking around in my head but no clear-cut direction. So I decided to tackle a much smaller project first. I wrote a short story about my days growing up in London, and later, New York. It was only five pages, but it got me started. I still needed an opening, a storyline, and a conclusion. With that out of the way, I began a simple outline for a novel.

My first novel was again about me. I used my own town and other things I knew to fill out a sci-fi adventure novel about someone who experiences a hole in our multi-dimensional world and passes through into the unknown. Because I had been raised in New Jersey, I used all the landmarks that were familiar. As I thought about the plot and characters, I raced toward an ending. It was at that moment I realized something fundamental to a novel. It must have a satisfying ending. I took days to figure out how to end this tale. Finally, I had something that made sense and it was only then that I began to write.

When I finished, I tried to get it published. But, once again, I had no direction so I had no luck finding anyone willing to publish my work. So I decided to keep writing instead. I had ideas for four other books that needed to be put on paper. My second book was far better than the first. The idea sprang from a visit my wife and I made to her 85 year old grandfather back in West Virginia. He lived the past 30 years in the same house he had shared with his recently deceased wife. He was self-sufficient and loved the holler he inhabited. I wondered how old he might live to become.

From that simple premise came my story. It’s a tale about an old man who lived to be 150 years old in West Virginia. He suddenly becomes a young man again and word leaks out to some wealthy old men in New York. He decide that perhaps he holds the secret to youth. They would do anything to be young again with all their money. So they began their quest to capture this unique man and uncover his riddle. I called it “Pursuit of the Phoenix,” and published it a few years back. Since then, I’ve written four others. One is about a talking tree in the Mayan jungle, another is about a drug from China that causes virtual reality, another takes place in the Grand Canyon about the birthplace of all life and finally one discusses the possibility of a modern-day Jesus. So, as an author, what would I recommend to anyone considering beginning a novel? Here are my basic tips:


Start with a short story of less than 30 pages.
Write about something you know or interests you.
Make an outline and detail the characters, setting, and plot.
Write a plausible and interesting ending.
Use believable dialogue, something used everyday.
Stick with common grammar and vocabulary and don’t get too cute.
Once finished, reread and edit until you can’t stand it anymore.

The last one may be the toughest of all. You need to read the completed manuscript and have your friends and relatives read it too. Does it make sense? Let them be critical. Besides the obvious spelling, grammar, and punctuation problems, look for other weaknesses. Does it flow logically? Are the characters and settings believable? In my novel, I needed the readers to a take a leap of faith regarding how a man could regenerate, but I back it up with some scientific reasoning. If you introduce something too strange, you might lose your viewer. Then, once you’re happy with the result, put it away for at least a month. Then pick it up and reread it again. Do this at least three times. I guarantee that each time you will find something to change or edit. It’s tough to read your own work, especially if you know exactly what will happen next.

Once you think you’re ready to publish, decide on one of these directions. You can (1) self-publish with someone like lulu.com where you pay per book or (2) try using either a literary agent or (3) submit directly to a publisher that is accepting new manuscripts. Any of these outlets can be found on the Internet. I recently ended up writing a non-fiction book about my life in the Yellow Page industry which has sold better than my novels. But for you, I suggest you start mapping out that short story and diving into the world of literary pleasures, from an author’s point of view. Good luck and good writing.

Jeffrey Hauser was a sales consultant for the Bell System Yellow Pages for nearly 25 years. He graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Advertising and has a Master's Degree in teaching. He had his own advertising agency in Scottsdale, Arizona and ran a consulting and design firm, ABC Advertising. He has authored 6 books and a novel, "Pursuit of the Phoenix." His latest book is, "Inside the Yellow Pages" which can be seen at his website, http://www.poweradbook.com Currently, he is the Marketing Director for http://www.thenurseschoice.com a Health Information and Doctor Referral site.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jeffrey_Hauser

The importance of words

As promised here are a few more Irresistible 'Descriptive' Phrases beginning with
'A'

able, skilful, thorough, and genuine

absolute, complete, unqualified, and final

accurate, precise, exact, and truthful

active, alert, vigorous, and industrious

actual, positive, certain, and genuine

adequate, uniform, proportionate, and equitable

adventurous, fine, active, and gossipy

adverse, antagonistic, unfriendly, and hostile

advisable, advantageous, acceptable, and expedient

affable, diffident, humble, and mild

affectionate, tender, loving, and attached

affluent, opulent, abundant, and ample

allurements, pits, snares, and torments

anger, indignation, resentment, and rage

animate, impel, instigate, and embolden

animosity, malice, enmity, and hatred

annul, frustrate, reverse, and destroy

anxiety, caution, watchfulness, and solicitude

apparent, ostensible, plausible, and specious

appropriate, use, arrogate, and usurp
[arrogate = claim without right; appropriate]

approval, enthusiasm, sympathy, and applause

aptitude, capacity, efficiency, and power

arbitrary, dictatorial, domineering, and imperious
[imperious = arrogantly domineering or overbearing]

architecture, sculpture, painting, and poetry

ardent, impatient, keen, and vehement

argue, discuss, dispute, and prove

arrangement, place, time, and circumstance

art, science, knowledge, and culture

artful, wily, insincere, and disingenuous

artificial, soulless, hectic, and unreal

assemble, amass, accumulate, and acquire

assiduity, tenderness, industry, and vigilance
[assiduity = persistent application]

assurance, persuasion, fidelity, and loyalty

attention, effort, diligence, and assiduity
[assiduity = persistent application]

august, magnanimous, important, and distinguished

authoritative, independent, arbitrary, and supreme

avaricious, grasping, miserly, and parsimonious
[parsimonious = excessively frugal]

aversion, dislike, hatred, and repugnance

Writing a Story Darling

Writing a Story Darling
No I won't be all night again!
Quotation of the Day